|not base both ketogenic and diet very low regular calorie whole foods, but it was only one of at least 3 problems with the study in hand that can not be considered, the acid test VLCD final to compare with bathroom fad diets VLCKD.|
Ketogenic diets are characterized by consistently low levels of insulin. That’s not exactly what has been considered the muscle protection in old age bodybuilding, where the effects of anabolic and anti-catabolic protein insulin was still hailed as a benefit not want to miss (Fulks 1975; .. Woolfson 1979), but according to a recent study of Rome, a ketogenic diet may be going to the diet of everyone trying to shed as much as weight as possible in the shortest possible time by reducing its total consumption daily energy to a hilarious <700 kcal / day (Metta. 2016). Now, back cutting calories that may sound a lot (and be) idiot for someone who has been all his lean / her life and is trying to make your abs visible. For someone whose overweight is threatening your life, it can be a lifesaver …
It can be a lifesaver that backfires if you end up losing the already low amount of metabolic currency (= skeletal muscle) that has remained unused under a thick layer of fat in the body for years, however. To prevent this from happening Metta et al. (2016) randomized twenty-five healthy subjects (18 and 65
years, with a BMI ≥ 25 kg / m², percentage of body
fat (PBF) ≥ 25 for males and ≥ 30 for women) random (R) divided into two groups (X and Y).
The X group received VLCKD and
And he received the VLCD group – both for 3 weeks during which the subjects dropped 3:
- The ketogenic diet with very low carbohydrate
(VLCKD) intended for a power consumption 450-500
kcal per day for women and 650-700 kcal per day
for male, with 35-40% of calories from fat, < 10% of calories from saturated fat, 5% carbohydrate calories (<6 g), and 55-60% of calories from protein, corresponding to 1.2 g (female) or 1.5 g (male) / kg body weight, and intake of 25 mg of fiber per day. Half of the daily protein amount was reached by amino acid supplement, called Amin 21K (Italfarmacia, Rome, Italy | product website ). dust
breakfast and lunch or dinner.
- The restricted diet very low in calories (VLCD)
aimed at an energy intake of 500 kcal per 450 to
day for women and 650-700 kcal per day for male,
with 35-40% of calories from fat, <10% of calories from saturated fat, 15-20% of calories carbohydrates (<20 g (female) or <30 g (male) and 45 to 50% of calories from protein, corresponding to 0.9 g (female) or 1.1 g (male) / kg body weight, and an intake of 25 mg of fiber per day.
In both groups, a capsule of multivitamins, the proper integration of mineral salts and an alkalizing
product were prescribed. The proper administration of the diet was assessed by urinary keto-stick. The study was conducted in a double blind, subjects were asked not to change their lifestyle habits.
|Figure 1 :. The changes in body composition during the study of 3 weeks (. N = 18 patients remained | Metta 2016)|
In view of the intakes of energy and identical proteins (45-50% of calories), data of body composition based on DXA Figure 1 is certainly impressive as it seems to support the idea that cutting carbs clearly a nutritionally deficient diet was enough to turn a starvation diet into a fat burning diet wonder muscle-preservation, but …
- on a per / kg of protein intake were everything but identical – 0.9 g / kg for females and 1.1 g / kg in male participants study of carbohydrates (VLCD) arm of the study normally, the ketogenic (VLCKD) diet provides 33% and 36% more protein for female and male participants, respectively study;
- subjects in the group got VLCKD signal. amounts of protein from a supplements whey + extra-EAA – supplement based on whey protein plus potassium citrate, L-isoleucine, ornithine alpha-ketoglutarate, L-tryptophan, taurine and L-citrulline only could have made all the difference;
- of baseline characteristics of the groups formed randomly differed – with the VLCD group being sign. fat (80% were obese compared to only 16.67% in the VLCKD), which obviously is a problem that can not be ignored when interpreting the results;
|“Keto Diet Research: body weight and fat gain muscle, but not protein synthesis after exercise is altered in Rodents in ketosis” | read|
So what does the study confirm, then? not nothing do not worry. After all, the study confirms that low carbohydrate go when starving and help muscles survive a whey protein product slightly “improved”.
Since it is not clear to what extent the previously discussed extra-benefits group ketogenic diet affects the outcome of the study, however, more and better controlled studies are specifically designed to assess the combined effects of genotypes and dietary intervention also it will be necessary to make definitive statements about whether the “keto-advantage” is, in fact, as important as data Figure 1 seem to suggest | Comment !
- Fulks, Richard M., Jeanne B. Li, and Alfred L. Goldberg. “Effects of insulin, glucose and amino acids in protein turnover in rat diaphragm”. Journal of Biological Chemistry 250.1 (1975) :. 290-298
- Merra, G., et al. “Ketogenic diet very low in calories with amino acid supplement compared to the very low diet restricted to preserve muscle mass during weight loss calories: a pilot double-blind.” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Science 20 (2016): 2613-2621
- Woolfson, Anthony MJ, Richard V. Heatley, and Simon P. Allison. “Insulin to inhibit protein catabolism after injury.” New England Journal of Medicine 300.1 (1979): 14-17.
“Cortes diet 450-700kcal / day 7% body fat in 3 weeks – Only if you Keto, however, will also increase lean mass by 4% ” is replublished article from suppversity.blogspot.com